Advancements in technology and the evolution of gears have made more efficient and powerful gearboxes to be developed and manufactured at lower costs. Toothed gear systems have evolved from fixed axis gear systems to new and improved gears including helical, cycloid, spur, worm and planetary gear systems. Gearboxes are widely used in applications that require desired output speed (RPM), control the direction of rotation, and to translate torque or power from one input shaft to another.
Gearboxes are used in a variety of industries:
• Aerospace – In the aerospace industry, gearboxes are used in space and air travel, i.e. airplanes, missiles, space vehicles, space shuttles and engines.
• Agriculture – In the agriculture industry, gearboxes are used for plowing, irrigation, pest and insect control, tractors and pumps.
• Automotive – In the automotive industry, gearboxes are used in cars, helicopters, buses and motorcycles.
• Construction – In the construction industry, gearboxes are used in heavy machinery such as cranes, forklifts, bulldozers and tractors.
• FoodProcessing – In the food processing industry, gearboxes are used in conveyor systems, the processing of meat and vegetable products, and packaging applications.
• MarineIndustry – In the marine industry, gearboxes are used on boats and yachts.
• Medical – In the medical industry, gearboxes are used in surgical tables, patient beds, medical diagnostic machines, dental equipment and MRI and CAT scan machines.